Wednesday, March 23, 2011




This sugar packet caught my eye at the coffee shop. Plain white. Simple typography. Sugar. It was so refreshing to see this right next to all the pinks and yellows and blues and oranges of the other packets that were loaded with color, type, and "personality". Branding is all about building a personality, image, and feeling by adding design elements until a visual and emotional quality is achieved. But sometimes it becomes overwhelming or usual. By stripping away everything identifiable to the brand, it becomes an identity in itself. What I appreciate the most about the design is the marketing of the item (sugar) and not the brand (Diamond Crystal Brands). Although maybe not effective in getting it's name out, it's nice to get sugar as Sugar instead of sugar as Artificial Sweetner Brand Name or Raw Sugar Brand Name.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Margaret - I found your picture of the sugar packet. I was wondering if you would give me permission to use it for a school project. It is a paper and slideshow on the sugar consumption tax in Berkeley, CA. Let me know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete